Friday, June 17, 2011

Barriga Llena, Corazon Contento - Ropa Vieja

Mi Gringito loves to eat. This is good because I love to cook! When we met, I asked him if he had ever eaten Cuban food.  He said yes and that his favorite dish was Ropa Vieja.  Now, before a few months ago, I had never prepared this dish before.  No reason really -- maybe because Abuela's was so good I knew mine wouldn't even compare...

Regardless, I live to please my very loving husband and I set to prepare his favorite dish -- no pressure! I adapted the recipe for convenience and I make mine in a crockpot. Guess what! Abuela can retire because mine is that darn good! YUM, YUM, YUM!




Ropa Vieja
Ingredients:
2 Cubanelle Peppers, seeded and sliced*
1 Small Onion, sliced*
1 can (14oz) Tomato Sauce
1 can (6oz) Tomato Paste
1 Tbsp each Olive Oil, Cider Vinegar and Minced Garlic
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Bay Leaf
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Boneless Chuck Steak (1.5 LB)**
1/3 C Pimiento-stuffed Olives
1/3 C Chopped Cilantro

* My grocery store also has pre-sliced fajita vegetables already packaged that is a mix of peppers and onions.  You can substitute that for the peppers and onion
** I buy anything in the range of 1.5-3 lbs...no one has ever said no to more meat!!


  • Mix all ingredients except steak, olives & cilantro in a 3.5-qt or larger slow-cooker


  • Top with steak; turn steak over to coat with mixture


  • Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours until steak is very tender

Is it done yet?

  • Remove and discard bay leaf. 
  • Tear steak in shreds using two forks. 
  • Stir in olives and chopped cilantro


You know how I know I did good? Mi Gringito asked for seconds...a full plate of it!  It's a good thing I don't cook this way every day porque we'd have to roll ourselves up the stairs!!

Enjoy, mis amigos! Hasta la proxima!

No comments:

Post a Comment