Tonight's supper was adapted from a recipe that I got from one of Lisa Lillien's cookbook's Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet. I wouldn't say that her recipes single-handedly helped me lose my pre-op weight -- but she was an enormous part! Reader's, if you are interested in low-calorie yet yummy food, I totally recommend ANY of her cookbooks, her website, as well as watching her show on Cooking Channel!
Itty-Bitty Turkey & Veggie Loaves
Recipe adapted from Hungry Girl
- 1.25 lbs Raw Ground Turkey (I used Italian Seasoned)
- 1 12oz Bag Broccoli Cole Slaw
- 1 Tsp Dried Onion Flakes
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/4C Ketchup (also a bit more for garnish)
- 1/2C Fat-Free Liquid Egg Substitute (or 2 eggs)
- 1/2C Quick Cooking Oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray (I use a 12 cup brownie pan -- I like the shape!)
- Roughly chop the broccoli slaw and place in a large bowl
- Add the onion flakes, garlic powder, salt, ketchup, egg substitute and quick cooking oats
- Mix well
- Add the turkey and mix well
- Using a large spoon, fill the cups with the mixture
- Add a small dollop of ketchup on all of the mini loaves
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it stand for five minutes.
|I almost stuck a loaf in the blender so I could eat it too!|
Depending on your appetite, this recipe can serve from three to six people...Los Suegros eat two a piece, I used to eat three and Mi Gringito has eaten anywhere between three and five of these! I like this recipe because once I can have real food, I will be able to have one of the loaves as a meal! Score for me!!
I baked sweet potato fries as a side dish, but I've also been known to make this with more steamed veggies, mashed potatoes or basically anything you would have with regular meat-loaf.
And for dessert...I've scoured high and low for this since I first heard of it and FINALLY found it...
Buen Provecho, Mis Amigos! Let me know if you try it out!