Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Rest of the Family Has To Eat...

At the moment, I only have room in my new tummy for 1/2C of food and I can only eat pureed foods...Gerber & Beechnut stock just went up!  Even though I can't eat, it doesn't mean I am going to neglect Mi Gringito. I mean, I'm sure he wouldn't mind eating D'Angelo's every night...pero then he'd grow to be as large as I am and we'd go broke quicker than we already are!

Tonight's supper was adapted from a recipe that I got from one of Lisa Lillien's cookbook's Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet. I wouldn't say that her recipes single-handedly helped me lose my pre-op weight -- but she was an enormous part! Reader's, if you are interested in low-calorie yet yummy food, I totally recommend ANY of her cookbooks, her website, as well as watching her show on Cooking Channel!

Itty-Bitty Turkey & Veggie Loaves
Recipe adapted from Hungry Girl

Ingredients

  • 1.25 lbs Raw Ground Turkey (I used Italian Seasoned)
  • 1 12oz Bag Broccoli Cole Slaw
  • 1 Tsp Dried Onion Flakes
  • 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 1/4C Ketchup (also a bit more for garnish)
  • 1/2C Fat-Free Liquid Egg Substitute (or 2 eggs)
  • 1/2C Quick Cooking Oats


Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray (I use a 12 cup brownie pan -- I like the shape!)
  • Roughly chop the broccoli slaw and place in a large bowl



  • Add the onion flakes, garlic powder, salt, ketchup, egg substitute and quick cooking oats



  • Mix well



  • Add the turkey and mix well



  • Using a large spoon, fill the cups with the mixture




  • Add a small dollop of ketchup on all of the mini loaves



  • Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it stand for five minutes.

I almost stuck a loaf in the blender so I could eat it too!


Depending on your appetite, this recipe can serve from three to six people...Los Suegros eat two a piece, I used to eat three and Mi Gringito has eaten anywhere between three and five of these! I like this recipe because once I can have real food, I will be able to have one of the loaves as a meal! Score for me!!

I baked sweet potato fries as a side dish, but I've also been known to make this with more steamed veggies, mashed potatoes or basically anything you would have with regular meat-loaf.


And for dessert...I've scoured high and low for this since I first heard of it and FINALLY found it...

Buen Provecho, Mis Amigos! Let me know if you try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment