Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Que frio, mi gente! Time to make un potaje!

Welcome to 2012! I know, I'm a week late -- I must be running on Cuban time! HA!
This awesome alarm clock can be purchased at www.cubanfoodmarket.com

This year looks to be one full of hopefully new and fulfilling experiences! Number one on that list?  I start school in three weeks.  Ay Dios! I remember when I first went to college and there was always this one student that was way older than us...oh no, I'm going to be that person! I'm sure I will get over that once the workload takes over -- I'm actually excited! I'm also looking to find a job, but school is #1 priority so I will most likely get something part-time just to help supplement our income.

On the health side, to date I've lost 33 lbs since surgery and 67 in total since I started the journey.  I am officially half way to goal! I am cleared to eat all foods as long as I take care to not eat things high in fat or fried.  So far, I've been able to tolerate most anything unless its too dry. I think I can live off chili and most restaurant have it on the menu -- score for me! Sugar is an enemy -- I've had some bad reactions to it that are not pretty so I won't put them in print. I am a slave to my vitamins, but I knew that coming in and it's much easier to swallow them now.

I just started cooking for the whole family again recently, and let me tell you, I'm am feeling alive! It was a part of me that had been missing. I thought that after surgery I might not want to cook anymore and I even warned the family.  I got away with it for the first couple of months but I just couldn't do it anymore.

It's been pretty cold these days.  I sometimes feel like I sleep on a block of ice.  To remedy this, Mi Gringito and I used some Christmas gift cards and bought a heated mattress pad.  This is the third Winter that we live here and we are just finding this? I now go to sleep very, very toasty and with a smile.  Its funny because it has dual controls and mine is set on HIGH and Mi Gringito's is set on LOW...opposites attract, I guess!
I'm don't have to use Mi Gringito to warm my cold toes anymore!

Well, since its been a bit nippy and I'd rather be snuggled in my covers - I decided to make a stew for supper last night. It came out awesome! I could only have a cup, but Mi Gringito ate two bowl's worth...I also had some for lunch today and will most likely eat some more for supper!

D's Navy Bean Stew
Ingredients

  • 1 bag dry Navy Beans
  • 1 lb Turkey Kielbasa - cut into 1/2" pieces (you can use any kind of sausage, I just prefer turkey kielbasa)
  • 1 red onion - chopped
  • 8C water
  • 2 Beef Bouillon cubes
  • 2 tsp chili powder

There's that darn GOYA Mafia again!



Directions
Place all ingredients into the crockpot and set on HIGH for approximately 8 hours.

That's it! I swear! I didn't add any salt because we're trying to cut sodium, but you might want to add some to taste. We ate it "as is", but you could also have it with rice. I'm inspired to try this with different beans and add-ins -- just maybe try to recreate Abuela's potaje de frijoles rojo! What do you think?

Stay warm, mi gente...UN BESO!

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to making the potaje your way...it might prove healthier since I am back to my Southbeach Diet and it's awesome. I had forgotten how well one eats while following this diet... Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete